Supabase is an open source Firebase alternative. Postgres database, Authentication, Edge Functions, Storage, and Vector embeddings.
Founded in January 2020 by Ant Wilson and Paul Copplestone, they've raised $116m to date.
Key Growth strategies
- Positioning themselves as open source firebase - it was a turning point in the journey
- Social media - especially Twitter (90k+ followers), especially memes. They're funny.
- Launch weeks - they just did their 9th launch week with community events in multiple cities
- Regular appearances on Hacker News frontpage & multiple successful product hunt launches (6000+ upvotes across 11 launches)
- Community - Supabase is definitely an identity for a lot of developers & has spawned supabase-specific builders & content creators
Interview with Supabase founder Ant Wilson
"you have to try every channel and every strategy to know what works"
- How the Launchpad book showed Ant that building a company is possible
- Product Market Fit is always just a pivot away
- Differences between pre-PMF and post-PMF
- How Supabase stay on top of and prioritise huge volumes of product feedback
- How Supabase positions itself to hobbyists/startups and bigger enterprise companies - DX and scalability.
- Supabase's Twitter strategy
- Trial & error in marketing
- How does Supabase measure marketing?
- Spaced repetition in marketing
- Databases are very sticky
- The future of Supabase
- The difficulties of hiring non-technical people (Supabase is hiring!)
Interview with Supabase's first marketer Ramiro Nuñez Dosio
- The Supabase marketing approach
- Launch weeks at Supabase
- Keeping focus
- Marketing processes
- How to measure success
- How to distribute content
More on Supabase
Something you'd change on this page? Please make a PR/issue